Reason #3,472 to live in New York: the Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Cooper-Hewitt created the traveling exhibition Design for the Other 90%, which arrives in Atlanta this week. This exhibition is basically a physical version of this blog…or rather, this blog is a poor man’s version of this exhibition.
“The majority of the world’s designers focus all their efforts on developing products and services exclusively for the richest 10% of the world’s customers. Nothing less than a revolution in design is needed to reach the other 90%.”
—Dr. Paul Polak, International Development Enterprises
The exhibition is organized by six developing world needs and searchable by continent, much like this blog. It provides an up-close experience of many solutions that we will cover in upcoming posts: KickStart’s MoneyMaker pumps, LifeStraw, sugarcane charcoal, and One Laptop per Child. Given that most of these devices are intended for countries far off the grid, this could be your only chance to see these designs in person.
Catch the exhibition through May 29 at the CDC’s Global Health Odyssey Museum. For those who can’t finagle a flight to Georgia, a quick browse around the well-made website will still give you hope and inspiration.